Thursday, February 13, 2014

The First Blow

Hello, friends! So, in promising to share each of my life milestones over the past four years, some of the most challenging moments of my life thus far are about to unfold. It makes me sad and sweaty to write about this time in my life, but I'm doing it to share God's message of love and healing-- and to help many of you who may be going through a season of life that leaves you breathless and hopeless. 

In the early spring of 2012, my daughter, who is now 2 1/2, was just a few months old. It was a difficult time in my life due to the mere fact that I was a new mother. Maternity leave came to an abrupt end, and I was faced with balancing a demanding corporate career, the emotions of dropping my child off at day care each day and a baby that did not like to sleep. Jason and I were exhausted, stressed and it was a rough spell in our marriage because of it all.

As much as we loved and adored our sweet bundle of joy, we were in survival mode surrounded by dirty diapers, Costco formula, precious outfits coated in diarrhea, full e-mail inboxes and an exploding business calendar.  Despite the sleepless coma that is infancy, I look back on these days fondly because my tiny girl was tiny for such a short time. However, while in those moments, life seems so overwhelming.

I knew my Dad had not been feeling well. He and my mom were concerned and searching for answers. After numerous tests and a colonoscopy, his gastrointestinal doctor and a general surgeon argued over the best approach to his intestinal issues. The general surgeon believed there was more to the diagnosis, and explained to my Dad that he was afraid he had a cancerous carcinoid tumor. A rare, slow-growing tumor, a major stomach surgery was necessary to remove the tumor, take out over a foot of his intestines and correct a hernia. I vividly remember receiving the news while at work, and weeping at the realization that my sweet Dad had cancer growing inside of him. 

I was terrified for the major surgery that was ahead for my Dad, but I stayed strong. I had faith that it would all be okay.

The surgery was scheduled for Friday, April 13th, 2012. And what happens next is truly a test of the core of our faith and a strain on the bonds that tie family together.

More to come in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you are sharing all this and the site looks beautiful!!